Wednesday, June 27, 2007

N Sync?

Jason and I have officially contributed to the forward advancement of the study of Psychology. We participated in a "romantic relationships study" at the University of Vermont yesterday afternoon, and for a good half an hour, we thought we were the most in-synch couple to ever live. They started us out in separate rooms, where we filled out a questionnaire about the division of labor in our household. I had to say what percentage of each household task I think I contribute: dishes, taking out the trash, finances, meal planning, cooking, cleaning, yardwork, etc. Then I answered a bunch of questions on the computer about how I feel about my relationship (i.e., very good). Jason was in the room next door completing the same tasks.

Then, still in separate rooms, we simultaneously answered questions on the computer about various celebrities... such as, if Russell Crowe were a flying object, would he be a blimp, a leer jet, a frisbee, or a kite? I would answer the question, and then the computer would tell me what Jason answered. I was so proud! Jason and I had the same answer almost every time! He really is my soul mate!

Then we answered the same set of questions as before about our relationship (now I'm feeling VERY VERY good about it!), and then they brought us into the same room and videotaped the way we compromise with each other. Remember that survey we did before on the division of labor in our household? Well, now we had to discuss our answers and actually AGREE on percentages for each thing. I was, of course, very generous with Jason, agreeing with almost everything he put down (I had a chance later to change my answers back if I wanted :). And then we separated again and answered the same set of questions on the computer about our relationship (still feeling pretty darn good!).

At the end of the study, the research assistant debriefed us and explained a little more about what they were looking for. It turns out that when we THOUGHT we were giving the same answers to all those weird celebrity questions, that was just the computer making crap up to make us THINK we're really in synch. The experiment is designed to have couples interact positively with each other (like thinking you're answering the same way on all these questions), and then observe whether or not that interaction impacts a couple's ability/willingness to compromise with each other. My heart sank. Here I thought we were the most enviable couple around, but we don't feel the same way about celebrities and the kind of flying objects they'd be AT ALL. We felt betrayed and violated.... and a little like strangers.

On the bright side, they gave us $40 bucks for our trouble.

Viva la science!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well - my first reaction was to say "hey, if you 2 can't figure out your celebrity flying object match-ups... you'd better get that divorce rolling!" but then i realized that only a couple as cute as you could participate in such a goofy/fun experiment! and you did have the therapy session afterwards... so, i guess you are perfect after all!