Sunday, January 20, 2008

chalk

Last week I rented the movie Chalk. It's a mock documentary about teachers and is very very funny. And a bit heartbreaking. The characters are slightly over-the-top caricatures of teachers, but there's a lot of truth in there, too. There's one character in particular who made my heart ache a little. He's a first-year history teacher and is so so so awkward. There's no evidence to suggest that I look like that when I'm teaching, but that is how I feel on the inside nearly every day. Watch it and you will understand two things:

1. Why we get our summers off
2. Why 50% of teachers quit within the first three years (this statistic is quoted at the very beginning of the movie, btw)

1 comment:

Matt said...

hey taryn,
I'm not quite as hip as I use to be (if I ever was hip in the first place) and just discovered your bloggy blog. Very cool. I've applied for a substitute job for the prep school here. Maybe this movie will give me a heads up of what too expect. see ya, leigh garlock williams